Here is a collection of resources to explore how to code for beginners and computer science for beginners. I will be adding resources to this page as I find things. Please check back regularly for updated info.
Most of these resources are FREE. Anything that has a cost associated with it, I have purchased and completed myself and believe it is a valuable resource.
How to code for beginners FREE!
- Intro to Programming Using Python
- Goal: When a student is presented with a problem, the response should be, “I can write a program to do that!”
- Provides estimated time to completion
- Lessons are divided into categories: Web Development, Languages, Tools, APIs, and Data Analytics
- Suggest picking a category and work through lessons in order!
- Goal: Focuses mostly on an intro to web technologies (skills you learn here will help you build a website)
- Provides K-12 academic support for all disciplines.
- Computing discipline includes: computer programming, computer science, Hour of Code, computer animation
- Computer Science focuses on true CS: algorithms, cryptography, information theory, and the internet
- Internet 101 lesson is pulled from Code.org lessons on the Internet
- Intended to give a very brief intro to the kinds of topics a Computer Scientist studies
- For those truly interested in learning to code, suggest working through the computer programming topics in order
- Online e-book on learning to code using Python
- Good introduction to programming using Python
- This is a great resource for aspiring computer programmers to learn the syntax of Python on how to code
- This is a great resource for aspiring computer scientists to learn the syntax of Python and how to use a programming language to complete complex tasks (iteration, string traversal, lists, recursion, etc)
- This is Harvard’s introduction to CS course. You can also take this course for free on EdX.